With An I

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

want breakfast tacos

Do not want this kind of food writing:

"Torchy’s Tacos, which began in a gray trailer plastered with pitchfork-wielding baby devils, is an Anglo-owned enterprise, serving migas tacos, made with a scramble of eggs and strips of fried corn tortillas, pocked with green chilies, capped with avocado slices, enveloped by flour tortillas."

Maybe I'm just being a snot here, but this excess of verbage and modes of topping irks me: "a scramble of eggs" = scrambled eggs; "pocked", "capped", "dotted" and "enveloped"? Please, son.

This sort of thing is why I can enjoy writing about cooking, and the process of cooking, but don't like to describe food or taste, really. You're forced to use verbs that you can't control. And the story of cooking is more interesting than the story of tasting, which seems aimed only at producing envy (and impulsively-planned foodie trips).* How awesome to have hit the food blogging right at the moment when you could make something really interesting out of it; how awesome to bring recipes and foodways to people who might not have discovered them; how not awesome to feel compelled to envelope your tacos in tortillas. I'm also tempted to think Mr. Food Writer here was going for highbrow-lowbrow here, in which case, we are once again not amused.

By way of tacos, though, I'm going down to see the folks and the visiting kidlets in Texas in two weeks, and my big Sis, too. It is possible that I could convince my mom to make a breakfast taco detour. Or a migas detour (please, god). If I lived in Austin, I think pork could become one of the major food groups, what with the Mexican food and the nearby BBQ. Which is also, really, a way of saying that I swear, someday, to retrace Calvin Trillin's footsteps. It's apparently not far from the second Wabes homestead...

* not a bad outcome, and I'm looking at you, Revolver...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home