With An I

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Caffeine, you're fired

From today, I am going to reduce and/or cut out diet soda and all other daytime upper-related caffeine from my diet. I'm aiming for a 30-day diet soda break, and a general caffeine draw-down. It makes me feel jittery, cruddy, not more aware or awake. It makes my brain feel like it's moving inside my head faster than it should be. Yuck.

And I have a sneaking suspicion that aspartame is not good for me, either, particularly not in 16-oz. doses per 36 hours, which was my average in February, being honest. I read somewhere that it's better to just pony up and have a regular Coke than have a Diet Coke every day, for what the fake fake sugar (as opposed to that genuine corn syrup) will do for you.

But I love the fizzy drinks so much, it looks like I'm going to be buying some major seltzer as I sit in my office. I like the flavor, but I doubt that there's a way to make cherry soda good for people like me without it being made of dark matter or something. However! I've just discovered a juice-seltzer drink that is relatively low in calories, all natural, and looks to have some vitamin C in it. In our vending machines! Star Ruby Grapefruit Grown-Up Soda, you just might be my afternoon pick-me-up from now on.

It occurs to me that this is how people give things up for Lent. Except I don't want to go back...

8 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This recipe really helped me kick the diet soda habit. Mix with seltzer instead of ice-water. Very tangy, refreshing, and not terrible from a caloric perspective:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1919,150161-242200,00.html

 
At 2:18 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

dude, mind meld. i gave up soda for lent, because the caffeine makes me jittery and unfocused and anxious and not at all more productive or alert.

plus i can never decide which is worse for me: the real sugar in regular soda or the fake sugar in diet soda.

it's just...that i love fizzy soda so much! especially fountain soda, over ice...doh. this isn't helping. go go gadget catholic guilt!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Wabes said...

oh, god, "crispy" Dr. Pepper (Rachel's description from college) is just about the best thing. With pizza! Stop me!

But that's an entirely different beast - far more pleasurable - than a hastily-gulped Diet Coke. Which only tastes good sometimes, and feels good far less often. There's no way around a crappy lack of sleep, I'm finding.

Knowing someone else is off the soda will keep me honest. This is good!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Wabes said...

@ anonymous: that sounds AMAZING. especially with fresh berries!

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous valya said...

I'm not really a soda drinker, but I do like Jones black cherry (they have a diet variety made with Splenda, too). Hansen's is pretty good as well. I believe both are made with "natural" ingredients but mainstream enough not be excessively pricey.

Aspartame is bad news; remember those headaches I got in college? I can almost certainly attribute them to aspartame.

Incidentally, if you do have a caffeine habit, watch out for the wicked withdrawal headaches. Tapering is the safe way to go.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Wabes said...

I didn't have enough of a habit to need to taper...although I guess I sort of started to ease off a week or so again. It was clearly the right thing to do - I had a moment of weakness (brought on by not wanting the taste of cold Korean food anymore at our institute lunch), and a few drinks of Diet Coke, and it immediately went zooming to my head. So, yeah, no thanks!

Is Splenda really better than aspartame? Better fake sugar?

 
At 10:31 PM, Anonymous valya said...

i believe that splenda (sucralose) is better than aspartame; for one thing, i personally respond better to splenda in that i don't get headaches or nausea from it. plus it doesn't mutate into something awful when it's heated or aged (ever had a diet coke that didn't taste sweet anymore?). and i think it tastes better. but for the past 8 months or so i've avoided all artificial sweeteners, and i don't think i'll be going back.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger jmishook said...

Like you, I also consume a fair amount of caffeine, and also enjoy the fizzy. If you're up for an upfront investment, I'd really recommend the Soda Club Penguin Soda Maker. Voila - carbonated water whenever you want it! And while they have their own mixes (never tried them), Megan and I have found that mixing in a small amount of concentrated juice (cherry, pomegranate, etc.) makes for very tasty fizzy drink. So while I haven't cut down much on coffee, I have pretty much eliminated my diet soda consumption.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home