With An I

Monday, October 26, 2009

I just finished reading Audrey Niffenegger's new book, Her Fearful Symmetry -- a rush of reading at the end of a long day, not what I should've done, but I wanted to get back to the story after our last little trip to DC. (We are done traveling now for a while, incidentally).

And now I need to stay up to figure it out, somehow. I feel...unsatisfied, interested, like I read the last bit too fast.

And also shocked at how far into the book I got, how absorbed. It was the same way with Oscar Wao, over the summer. I should read novels more. Perhaps then I could come to handle plot, twists, characters, without getting so completely wrapped up? It's sort of wonderful, though, and maybe the way I've always read. I think I fell into books as a kid, lost the hours. Reading history for my work is so wholly different.

Sigh, internets. What was the last book that kept you up late one night?

2 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger lauren said...

raymond chandler's the simple art of murder. sections of the title essay (on hard-boiled detective fiction, in part) are so dazzling that i kept wanting to wake joe up and read them to him. (i did not, but think now that i should have.)

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

the last book that kept me up (last night) was the closing chapters of Neal Stephenson's "Anatham". he kinda jumped the shark with this one, but i'm a devoted fan, so.

my copy of Her Fearful Symmetry is in the mail on its way to me right now. if all goes will, it will be delivered before i finish Anatham so i can transition right in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home