Sunday calm
Sunday morning, an inch of snow on the tree-branches, four different church bells ringing for 10 a.m., sunshine, blue sky. I've taken to eating my breakfast facing the window, feet up on the sill (with warm radiator as bonus), looking at this:
I love waking up to snow, especially when I didn't know there was any called for in the night. It was so rare when I was little. I'm noticing a pattern in the weather, this week. Early morning sunshine and accumulation, cloudy late morning, maybe a little more snow, cold cold cold, clear night, snow sometime before I wake up. Repeat. I will take any amount of snow Berlin wants to throw down, as long as there is also sunshine in the morning.
I do love the quiet here, in this particular place. It makes me love my work, too, for how it moves along here.

4 Comments:
dude, is that a graveyard out your window? if so, that really is the best view ever!
yup. it's the old jewish cemetery (damaged and mostly, i think, restored) for my neighborhood. it's a big island of green and tall trees, full of birds in summertime and just verrrry quiet now.
there was a moment of discovering some of the history during WWII that made it more grim than peaceful, but that's sort of how everywhere in berlin can be.
that's one of the reasons why cemeteries can be so lovely, i think: they work so hard to make graceful comments about terrible things.
It's actually barely restored (I spent some time wandering around it in July). It's overcrowded with tombstones, overgrown with vines and trees, and most of the markers look like they might turn into rubble. But it's almost more meaningful that way.
Post a Comment
<< Home