the fall of soup
What with all my girlfriends, save one, gone from Berlin, and not having met the new women this semseter from my fellowship program, I recently decided that this would be the autumn of hanging out with the guys.* I have some great friends here in Berlin; they are all men. I've always had a decent share of guy friends, but my girl friends have lately been the ones I'm closer to. We'll see how I fare through the winter without Lex to drop by for a chat and a drink or Amelia to cook with, but one must be optimistic.
I also decided, having not been able to cook my own style of stuff for the better part of three months, feeling a little blah, and needing a good alternative to the fresh veggies of the summer here in the land of cabbage, that it was also going to be the autumn of soup. I have a cupboard full of spices left by my departing gals, and hardly know what to do with them. But oh, soup...
I am no great lover of cumin, but I have recently come around to loving chickpeas. People! Run, don't walk, to your nearest supermarket and get the following:
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 large brown onion, roughly chopped
* 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
* 1 teaspoon ground coriander
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (if you like heat, bump this up)
* large (1 lb) sweet potato, peeled, diced
* 2 large carrots, peeled, sliced
* 7 cups chicken or vegetable stock
* 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
* 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon
Then, do the following:
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes, or until just soft. Stir in coriander, cumin and chili powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add sweet potato and carrot. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add stock. Cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
2. Add chickpeas to soup and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until tender.
3. Make sure all veggies are tender, and proceed to blend soup, in batches/with stick blender, until smooth. Return to saucepan (if not using stick blender) over medium-low heat. Stir in remaining cup of stock until blended, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Remove from heat.
You will then have "Moroccan Chickpea and Sweet Potato Soup." (Which I've tweaked a tiny bit from a helpful Australian food site. The Australians led the results of "chickpea soup" when I searched, oddly).
I added a little float of chili oil to mine, and had it with some nice crusty bread and a bit o' cottage cheese. I'd show you a picture, but it's gone!
* following along the lines of the "summer of salsa" in Washington, which I believe was 2002, and involved a well-worn path between Woodley Park and Habana Village in Adams Morgan; the subsequent "summer of pink", when I decided to only paint my toenails pink, was not as fun.

6 Comments:
Here is my favorite recipe involving chickpeas (and cumin)
--Christine B.
North African Stew with Spicy Harissa
2 cups water or broth
1 cup dry whole wheat couscous
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 can (14 ½ ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
8 ounces shredded carrots
2 cups peas
1 cup golden raisins
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Stir in the couscous and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat to low, cover the pan and cook for 2 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat. Fluff with a fork. Cover and allow to stand for 5 minutes. (Or use one box of couscous, like Near East brand, prepared according to package directions)
2. Combine the onion, peppers and tomatoes in a large saucepan. Cover and simmer over medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the chickpeas, carrots, peas, raisins, cumin, paprika, and cinnamon. Mix well. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Serve the vegetable mixture over the couscous with harissa on the side (see below for harissa recipe).
Makes six servings.
Spicy Harissa
3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Combine the garlic and red pepper flakes in a small bowl and mix well. Add the tomato paste and lemon juice. Blend to make a smooth paste.
oooh, CB, welcome to the blog! stop by ANYTIME!
...this sounds wonderful. thanks!
Dude, this looks brilliant. Will try for the folks at the ranch at my first oppty. I love soup!
but, I must admit, I read that headline and thought: "Oh no, what happened to her soup!?" (e.g., the collapse, failure, ruin of soup).
cooking is so dramatic
i kind of did that on purpose, for my grammar-hound friends. it made me giggle...tomorrow's will be another soup attempt - we'll see how it goes!
okay, so i made this soup tonight, and wow! two thumbs up for it being super cheap/easy to make - about 8 min of prep, 8 min of cooking, and then just letting it simmer unattended for another half hour. yum.
only i wanted it to be spicier, and was tempted to sprinkle in some cayenne - would that go against the grain of the chili powder? i also went to town with the lemon, which compliments the chickpeas really well.
thanks for posting that!
i think you could do chili and cayenne together, actually - and i might even add some chili in to the main cooking next time. i used some contadina/etc chili oil from an italian grocery, but i've always like cayenne with sweet potatoes, too.
it's also worth noting that you should add a little shot of lemon in when you've re-heated it as well. it is as good the next day. so glad you like it!
i think this week is lentil...
Post a Comment
<< Home