With An I

Monday, November 10, 2008

Hi, Bukoba!

I was just looking up something online to make sure I had my local food products straight (I'm editing my first article!), and I found this great little website for tourists visiting Kagera Region/Bukoba.

Given what I've heard of the heat and the power supply in Dar, I'm glad I'm gone, but Bukoba, I'd go back there anytime. Speaking of, here are some of the photos I never got to load in TZ because my internet was too slow...

This is the full moon rising over Lake Victoria in August, upon our arrival to Bukoba.




This is the entrance to my hotel (which, as the website says, is a good place to eat).


This is the little chapel at Kashozi Parish, which was founded in 1894 by the White Fathers, and originally called Marienberg. The main church, built at the same time and still standing, is at least 10 times the size.



and this is the inside, sweetgrass on the floor.



This is the msonge where I interviewed a 98-year-old man, foundations for a new house in the foreground (he's there, too, in a pink shirt), in the middle of the family's banana planation.



And this was taken from the site of the sleeping sickness hospital at Kigarama, with Lake Victoria in the background.



This is the main market in Bukoba town, with stacks of matoke (green plantain).



And this is my first and last view of it, the airport runway, with Msira Island off the coast.



I'll try to load some from Dar, or maybe just my favorites, sometime soon. For now, though, a day of editing has worn me out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home