Sleeve dog
Oh, New York...always fashion-forward, always eating or drinking something interesting, always...always coming up with proof that the stereotypes the rest of America has about you are true.
I give you, friends & loved ones, the sleeve dog. We've all seen them, on the subway or in a shop, or maybe just in a tabloid on Paris Hilton's arm (sigh) -- sometimes cute, sometimes a little creepy. My favorite example was the pug that Lau saw on the subway some years ago, sitting face-forward in a baby carrier, "like Buddha," I believe it was. I also saw a Yorkie go apeshit at a man singing on the subway, who kindly told "Mr. Dog" to chill out. I found much humor in the little stuffed animal purses-with-doggies, and Sophers liked the pink poodle version I got her for her birthday (though she immediately wanted the dog OUT of the purse, smart girl). But I can't abide by chihuahuas, and clothing is only smart on a dog if it's raining or cold.
I think taking your dog to work, if allowed, is a much better - if not wholly necessary - option to leaving them at home or in a kennel. Penny Lane loves it, I know, and she's a good dog. Our family farm-poodle, Simone, went everywhere with my mom, within reason, especially as she became a senior dog. I don't doubt that cute dogs can be ice-breakers, comfort, a smile... But taking your dog to brunch? What if Fifi wants a lick of your table partner's eggs Benedict? Or your foamy latte? Then what? And how do you train a dog to be HAPPY in a purse?

1 Comments:
i used to fear chihuahuas - my cousins (The Rat Children) had a pair named rowdy and rawhide who vomited at every possible opportunity. i still remember my little sister holding one out to me in disbelief: "THIS is a DOG?!"
ye blogosphere has taught me to love, though. caterina's dos pesos and lmnop (aside: dos pesos = best chi name ever) and alison/bluishorange's maude (named for maude lebowski) are pretty goddamn adorable.
none of this speaks directly to sleeve dogs, however. my position, to wit, is that if you keep a sleeve dog in a purse, i have no use for you. if you keep your sleeve dog in your sleeve, however, you are awesome.
Post a Comment
<< Home