With An I

Monday, July 20, 2009

Being consistent is hard.

That's all I have today.

I set up a system for working my way through my files, to take my time and really absorb stuff, get the argument moving. Handwrite any extra notes, etc., and then create site-specific memos that I could then use to frame and write chapters. Cross-reference against the database to make sure it's complete and sound.

Working on my Lake Tanganyika files, however, has just sent me rolling down into a ravine of documents and photographs and unfinished notes and citations and gnarly 1908 handwriting so dense and thickety, so deep and time-consuming to climb back out of, that I am now wishing that I had, in preparation, put on my coveralls and taken a machete with me, so to speak.

2 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Blogger lauren said...

oh, lady - i know JUST how it feels to want to take a machete to a large pile of documents. persevere!

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Wabes said...

i'm just...gonna keep climbing out until i get to 1914. it's coming along!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home