Your trip : Germany (Berlin) - u. s. a. (Detroit)
In class : Tempo
Flying Blue member : Flying Blue Silver
2 baggage items of maximum 23 kg each
If an item weighs more than 23 kg but less than 32 kg, a one-off charge of 50USD will be applied.
Cost of additional allowance
150 EUR per item* Convert into = EUR150
Cost of additional allowance
Please, Air France, recognize my frequent flier status on Northwest, and please, please, don't make me have to decide to ship something else home...
This part of packing - the anticipation of the people at the counter being evil (a la Jens from December's trip), of me messing something up, of my documents not getting home - this I don't like so much. I would invest in a bathroom scale to quell my anxiety, just for this last week, if I didn't sort of generally object to having them around.
Any tips for handling a move, kids?

6 Comments:
Well for my transatlantic move I brought my girlfriend to the airport with an empty suitcase. Which was good, because I was way over the limit. But I'm thinking that's not an option for you. So, lots of weight in the carry-on? They generally don't check that too carefully. And maybe leave a few can't-part-with-them items with a friend to pick up on a future visit?
aside from being extracharming to your handlers at the airport (which i'm sure you are anyway), i have little to suggest. i was just thinking about moving as i left for work this morning: when we next pick up and go, i will be sorely tempted to hire yamoto movers because their logo is so damn cute. this is why i'm probably not going to be the one in charge of hiring movers.
Sweet-talk the frequent flyer people first.
Assuming lack of success:
I would pack the 2 bags as full as possible and eat the cost of one overweight bag if it is $50, assuming that you can fit everything into the 2 bags - that's cheaper than 150 Euro for a third bag (!!!)
If it will not fit, ship winter clothing and tchochkes cheaply and pack bags to the weight limit.
Can't wait until you are back!!
invest in the bathroom scale. it will provide you with much peace of mind between now and your travel date. think of it as the cost of a better night's sleep. (i am well familiar with this pre-travel angst myself...) and, since you're trying to cut back on the stuff you're carrying/shipping, just don't bring the scale home with you! leave it as a parting gift for the next tenant.
I pack my carry on as heavy as I can and then figure if I can lift the suitcase it isn't over weight. Last trip back form LA I was over and had to take the heaviest things out. That was the jar of Trader's peanut butter.
What I forgot was that I couldn't carry it through security, so I had to give it up in the end. Good luck.
upstate mom
oh, bummer about the PB!!! i'm bringing back this awesome chocolate stuff, but it's going into a suitcase for certain. right now, i'm just about on weight with all my bags, but still paying to bring an extra one. it's just safer than mailing things that aren't replaceable...!
Post a Comment
<< Home