With An I

Saturday, November 01, 2008

I saw a house fire tonight, on my way up to pick up Kolz's parents and their friends for dinner out. Three fire trucks pulled a quick u-turn on Schönhauser Allee right at my intersection, one blocking the oncoming traffic. I thought it was just a usual three-firetruck-no-fire kind of thing until I smelled smoke and could see it filling the street. Then walked further to see two windows lit up orange and flames floor-to-ceiling. I thought I heard someone yell "hilfe" (which means help), but I may have been imagining it; I hope so. People were stopped on the streets, standing out on their balconies, just staring. I felt off-balance and sick just walking by.

It made me wish I didn't care about my things, but also made me want to put my work in a fireproof box. There is only so much you can plan for. I've just never seen a fire before, like that.

When I came back three hours later, it looked like the block of rooms above the burning windows were also vacant, all windows open. The only sign of anything awry was the windows all open and dark with the cold night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home