the short list
Here is my list of things I need to learn:
- Kihaya (or Ruhaya, depending on who you're talking to)
- historical linguistics
- anthropological linguistics
- historical linguistic research methods (ditto anthropology)
- how to cook fearlessly on a propane burner indoors
- how to say "power rationing" in Swahili
- what the shelf life of various foods is when the power for the fridge is off
- what the muezzin are saying at 11:34 on a Saturday night as they call/pray*
- how to design my own clothing, esp. skirts
- collegial diplomacy
- how to get along better with expats/NGO-ers (file also under: why my friends here are German/Swedish/Tanzanian)
And...
French.
Just your basic French. Because I now have a correspondence running with the father in charge of the Missionaries of Africa (White Fathers) archive in Rome where I write in English and he writes in French. Their lingua franca is, well, French. I can read enough French to get it, and to get the diaries I've got for my research, but, um, dude. Receiving emails in a foreign language where I can't even start to conjugate a verb is unsettling.
Today I also: plotted research and correspondence after waking up at 6:30, negotiated a safari package, negotiated a day trip with a taxi to Bagamoyo, raised funds for Obama, did not mingle, got a doxy-sunburn (like a real sunburn, except with all the pain and none of the color change), fantasized about the clothing I would design with Tanzanian fabric if I had time/talent, and bled money for taxis doing all of the above.
The word for tonight is: yow! Thank god tomorrow is Sunday and I can rest.
* it occurs to me that the neighborhood muezzin might be making up for the hours of 6-8 p.m., when there is usually general recitation of verses over the loudspeakers (only during Ramadan). Today, their loudspeakers didn't have power between 2-11 p.m., either, like me and the rest of my neighborhood.

1 Comments:
have i told you that i think you're amazing?
you are amazing. and brave. and brilliant. you are much missed on this side of the planet, but through the magic of the internet i'm totally wowed by your adventures. go you.
Post a Comment
<< Home