With An I

Sunday, September 28, 2008

rhyme time

My niece is awesome. When Dora the Explorer went to Tanzania to see Kili and distribute friendship bracelets (because this is what Dora does?), she apparently ran around the rest of the day saying "Jambo!" and "That's where Aunt Wabes lives!". When I spoke to her, she very earnestly and sweetly said, "I got a postcard from Africa. Do you live in Africa?" It is good to know that kids appreciate your postcards, because I sure do appreciate the kids.

This one, however, is topical and cute, from Sis A in CA. She writes:

"J's favorite book is "Is your Mama a Llama?" and I was reading it last night and Sophers called out from the other room "Is your Mama Barack Obama?" No joke! She thought is was hilarious 'cause it rhymed."

I wonder if she'll remember the election at all, at 4, or just a sort of half-shadow of it, the way I vaguely remember Walter Mondale (he always looked so tired with those eyes) in 1984. Mondale and Geraldine are up there with Rosalyn Sumner ice-skating for Canada that same year in a really pretty dress, though.

Just blogging while the blogging is good, folks - the word from the guys who take care of the building is a power outage tomorrow from 2ish to 10ish, meaning they're falling regularly every other day. It was like this in 2006 because of low water at a hydroelectricity plant, with the consequence of Dar feeling, at times, like a ghost-town full of burping generators. This, combined with my British plug adapter recently fritzing, makes me think it's just about time to get out of Dar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home