progress, progress!
I have one of my boxes from Customs - not the one with the books in it, unfortunately, but more fortunately, the one with the photos, dictionary, and hot water bottle. And I also got to talk for a while with the Institute's administrator, and see another part of Berlin, so all is well. Ms. N has sent me a book to use to translate the 19th-century script I'll likely find in the archives, too, so work continues apace.
I also have a connection, if bogarted, with my own computer at the Institute. It turns out that being a Gastwissenschaftlerin means that I get free printing, all the supplies I need, and a nice, airy workspace in a little corner room with a few other folks. I don't think most people work here most of the time, so it may be perfect. Also good is that the Institute is on the way to the national archives, so checking in and working on the way will also be relatively straightforward. All of these things fall into place, I realize.
The market is on at Steglitz today, and there are all of these amazing fall foods for sale. Maronen and Steinpilz, two kinds of mushrooms that you can only get in the fall, and all matter of crazy pumpkins. They're hacked into quarters or halves, rather that sold whole, and are for cooking only, but it's still impressive. I love a farmers market, and now just need to come up with some more creative things to cook. Last week I tried out Pfifferlinge, which I think are chantarelles, but in such abundance and so cheaply at a certain time of year, I couldn't pass it up. That resulted in yummy pasta. Perhaps with the others I could do risotto, but that would require a lot of other stuff...
I am also having some luck in finding possible apartments, and have more patience about the process now. When you aren't comfortable at home, something like the fight-or-flight instinct takes over, and I was in a scatter about how to move earlier, where to go, what to figure out. But I have until mid-December, according to our contract, and could probably go earlier if I offer to help find a replacement subtenant. So, we'll see.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home