state of mind
I arrived with the usual fanfare of delays at La Guardia this morning, despite perfectly clear weather and good planes. The departing flights were stacked up 20 deep on the runways (will someone please fix that airport? Give it a prosthetic runway into Queens or something?) My greeting was all the more special because of the (partial) taxi strike, which meant for a massive line, but actually a lower fare and quicker ride into Manhattan. And now I have napped (our 4 am wake-up just sucked) and had a lunch meeting and am full of caffiene and mediocre Ethiopian food. It's like I never went away. Take that as you will.
But gosh, don't come back to a partially-moved-out-of apartment if you can help it, kids. It's sad. And kind of smelly and dirtier than you ever remember it being. I was mortified that my cousin and his gal stayed here in our absence, though I know I told them not to expect more than 1 pillow and 1 towel. Once I get some of the paper out of the way, and stack the stereo components neatly, maybe even get a box or two shipped off, it will be less of a bummer, but dude. I got spoiled in Toledo.
I'll try not to harp on that too much.
Countdown to Berlin proceeds apace, with the to-do list developing, and many things to cross off of it. Meetings to have, haircuts to get, passport-sized photos to specific German dimensions to be acquired. Friends to see before leaving again. Heartening news, though, from Berlin -- apparently my apartment is quite nice, and the neighborhood in the former West much more lively than anyone expected (anyone being young Germans & others familiar with Berlin). A market three times a week! One comment about the 'hood was "I've never known anyone interesting from Steglitz". Sounds like a challenge to being an interesting-young-person-salon. Har!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home