With An I

Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Great North

At the end of running errands yesterday, I was listening to NPR and scanning for the local station. I had been listening to Michigan Public Radio the whole afternoon because, we'll, we're like 10 miles from Michigan. Then, as I was nearly home, I realized that I was listening to the CBC, not NPR. I've never lived far enough north to get Canadian radio. This just pleases me immensely.

I also discovered a good Italian grocery with fresh pizza crusts and mozzarella and such, and a natural foods store with everything healthy you could want. Also, one must drive one's recycling to the grocery store parking lot, bringing into question the good it does with one's carbon footprint considered. And I discovered that I really, really need new running shoes. I tried a new pair on, and my old ones felt like flip-flops.

Tonight we're going to a Mud Hens game. What is a Mud Hen, you ask? 'Tis the Toledo minor league baseball team mascot. The ballpark is right downtown, blocks from our place, and the following is huge, from what I can tell. The fire fighters union across the way has "Lets Go Hens" on their marquee, and they've made the play-offs. Fans were streaming into downtown last night before the game, lots of kids in tow, and we're going with Kolz's office tonight. But for greater detail, ask Imelda, who got to dance inside the mascot when she worked for the Blade years back.

In any case, minor league baseball hasn't done us wrong yet (we loved the Cyclones game we managed to see before leaving). And that hen is a competitive, fierce-looking fowl. And tonight, I think, we're playing the bats, of Louisville (like batman, not like batting cage). Chicken versus bat! And tonight is a player autograph night, fireworks night, and a "Grey's Anatomy" night, where free medical supplies will be given away! Take that, stinky Yankees!

4 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger lauren said...

dancing inside a mascot sounds awfully painful for the mascot - thank goodness for the medical supplies!

glad to hear you're enjoying yourself out there, dear.

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GO MUDHENS!!

Spent many a summer afternoon at a 'Hens game when I was a wee lad. Are they still the farm team for the Detroit Tigers?

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Wabes said...

they are, indeed. in fact, a woman sitting next to us said something about not needing a tigers game, since the guys were here (in toledo) already. they've won the playoffs, too...

i never actually _saw_ the medical supplies, but they had changed the headshots on the marquee so that all the players were wearing a mask and scrubs. i thought at first it was because one particular player was nicknamed "the surgeon" or the "home run doctor" or something. but it was just for "gray's anatomy" night.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Imelda said...

Dancing on a dugout while dressed in a hot, smelly mascot costume is actually one of the perks of the job. Far easier than following all the silly "mascot rules," the biggest of which is that you must never acknowledge that there's a person inside the costume. Even when you're trying to interview the person inside the costume. It's for the kids!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home