orange all over
Bet you didn't know that Fanta Blood Orange soda tastes like an orange pixi stick barely diluted in carbonated water. And that the flavor is part of a promotion for Fanta around the world (though I am suspicious it is also connected to some South African PR campaign which is connected to the World Cup 2010).
Bet you also didn't know that wearing your shoes around the apartment will do enough damage to prevent said shoes from being returned to a German shoe store. Eh?
And another one: if cheese is made by President, the French brand, it will be brie, even if it says "total goat cheese" (rough translation). It will just be goat brie. Which makes a nice sandwich, yes, but is not quite what you might want. Somehow, the variety of meats and cheeses here that are totally unfamiliar to me is just astounding.
I have also discovered that it is worth the time and awkwardness to look around for who has cigarettes, who might be smoking, and which way their smoke is blowing before choosing a table at the internet cafe. It also appears that directly opposite a smoker is the best option. I do not understand, frankly, why smoking while surfing is such a necessity. It is not that exciting.
Plus, here's another one! Bet you didn't know that Dunkin Donuts has a deal with easyinternetcafe.com, and so the cafe is a lovely color of orange.
And for those of you who know me well, a real surprise: a mild level of caffeination, like a half-cup of coffee, is actually good for the Deutsch. Not to be overused, really, but good to know. I am already peppering my speech with Germanisms, which I am trying not to correct but to let my brain re-wire itself a bit in terms of word order. The other night, I told Kolz that the whole deal with me matriculating (a major thing, because you get a cheap, cheap travel pass and lots of privileges with a student ID) was just an "educational system difference". Not a difference in the educational systems. I have to smile.
It seems impossible that I have only been here a week, as slow as the time has gone by some days. I will hope to start work in earnest, either at the library or the archives, on Thursday, as I think I have almost all of my ducks in a row. I pick up boxes from customs tomorrow, which I am already naively protesting (inwardly) because, hey, Germans, these are MY THINGS. I have already paid for them, and they are not for sale. The going rate for my old green hot water bottle? Skinny, I tell you. We'll see how much it costs...
Must get back to email while I can, and looking at new apartments. More to come, but the plan to revolutionize Steglitz is officially off. The apartment is lovely, but lovely is only one letter away from...lonely.

2 Comments:
I maintain that regular orange Fanta tastes best in its German formula. I can't abide that American formula for Fanta, but I drink it every meal when I'm in Deutschland.
tell me that you don't go for the fanta-cola mix, though...that stuff is vile!
Post a Comment
<< Home