With An I

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Hallo Berlin (again!)

And we are here. More importantly, the luggage is also now here, which means everything can proceed as it should.

Email and internet access are spotty (I'm currently at the computer of the director of my institute of affiliation, which may or may not be a good idea) but hopefully that will resolve soon enough.

Til then, though, short ends:

Do not fly through Heathrow. Or, do not fly the same day as me en route to Berlin -- it is apparently cursed, though all ends up okay. 10 of us from the JFK flight were literally whisked off the plane and onto a bus, then to the connecting terminal, through security, and set loose to sprint down the terminal to the (honest to god) last gate there. Those of us with rollie bags let the unencumbered get there first to save our spots. Nothing like a good sprint to round off a trans-Atlantic aisle seat red-eye.

It is chestnut season here! They are everywhere, and I can't help but pick them up. Buckeyes, as they are, were rare when I was a kid - sort of good luck charms, I think - and now that I know they can be roasted and make me think of Christmas, I like them even more. I have been picking up one when I leave my building, just impulsively, and thought that they might be a good way to count the time here. Or to collect and have a buckeye-roasting party.

It is also cold here, like serious fall-level cold. And what with me forgetting my good shoes, I have managed to give myself blisters on both ends of my feet, and so am wearing my walking sandals again. I'm sure I look crazy, but I am NOT wearing them with socks, at least.

German keyboards are a challenge, once again. Observe:

Or, rather, ObserveÖ

Can we compare how sentences look on a German kezboard versus an English oneÄ WhatÄs the real problem_ Where are ß call me crayz ß the dashes and apostrophes_ Or the question marks_ Most importantlz, we have switched the zäs and the yäs. Zargh. I do kind of love that ä, ü, ö, and ß are readilz, I mean readily, accessible, though.

Also - beware of subletting without putting everything in writing. In both cases, it can get dicey...but more on that later. Hopefully I'll have a connection set up in my office space early next week, and with that will come some semblance of a routine. I realize now that I have been routine-less and traveling since early August, and now don't feel like I can -- or don't yet want -- to settle in. Strange, that. I also realize now how many people I didn't get to say good-bye to, so hopefully Skype will come in handy for that.

3 Comments:

At 12:40 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

good to hear you've landed safely.

berlin! i loved it the three or so days i was there. i had had my luggage stolen in prague the day before, so i got to buy a lot of weird german toiletries when i was in berlin.

the frequent flier miles are banked; i WILL figure out how to come visit you in the spring. when else will i get to see berlin with a resident/german speaker?

let me know when you get all skyped up.

love,

j

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger lauren said...

in the absence of skype (man, we are so low tech), 1) we will also figure out how to visit you in the spring! and 2) a link from home: 125th street history, which made me giggle and think of you. stay warm and find those shoes!

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Wabes said...

hey, gals...

thank you for the good will and good wishes. i do have shoes now, but they're that bronx brand, which just makes me giggle. they are a sort of burnished silvery grey, kind of badass fairy tale. i don't know. they're not like anything i've ever had, but they should stand up to the rain.

i personally love the weird toiletries, except being not quite sure what the differences are. i almost bought a big, BIG bottle of nivea body wash the other day, until i realized it was not the same stuff in a bigger size (the american thinks in bulk, no?) but rather was a similar product for the bath. to pour in.

skyping i was hoping for by this weekend, but it looks like next week sometime, now. at least i have regular access, though...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home