With An I

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

ABD

Today was my dissertation prospectus defense, and because I defended it honorably (or something), I am now ABD, All But Dissertation. This is actually quite nice, because it means I get to go off and do my own work now, research and writing and figuring things out, and have not too many more hoops to jump through in the next three years. The defense itself was not very aggressive, but rather (as one of them put it) a "nice colloquium" -- good questions and suggestions, a lot of diversity of opinion, and nothing too scary. My old boss was ABD (though he was at the stage where he did his research, but never defended the dissertation...which happens to a lot people, and which is why the designation of ABD has to mean something) - and so were a lot of my TAs in college. So it's a nice milestone to hit, and then plan to overtake.

It is sunny and beautiful out, and from now on, I can actually enjoy the weather when it's nice! I'd be enjoying it presently, but I've got the flu, so I'm taking my headache and my stomachache and going to bed. This is also actually quite nice, to be able to toss the rest of the day and just take care of myself. : )

It's also time to start planning the summer and fall. Folks have been asking when I'm leaving again, and I realized that you all might be expecting a repeat of last summer. Not so! I'll be moving to Berlin in the fall to start my research, but not until Kolz takes off for his clerkship - so we'll be here in New York for the summer. It all worked out pretty well in the career-planning department, considering that our careers are in different stages and we didn't have it laid out from day 1. Next up on my list is polishing off giving & grading exams, and then a trip home beautiful home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home