With An I

Monday, April 16, 2007

the approaching storm, the...searching wind

So, maybe I was wrong about needing Headline News for storm-related drama. Witness these two fantastic bits from the Times:

"Coming on a weekend, the storm had a relatively light impact on most residents. Many shops and restaurants that normally would have been open yesterday were shuttered, but without jobs or schools to attend, many people spent the day indoors with the Sunday papers, relaxing with music to go with the silken lash of rain hissing at the windows, dripping on a lazy afternoon.

The day was, in a way, like great theater: the drama of the approaching storm, the searching wind at the panes and rain dancing on the pavement, the smudged sky, the iron-gray day like a movie in black and white. The overcast was solid, great plates of corrugated iron fused from horizon to horizon, and the streets glistened in the rain: a metallic futureworld."

I was well fortified against the silken lash and hissing rain, but I don't know how different the metallic futureworld of New York really was...or is.

I'm listening to Boston radio as I work this morning. The conditions are crap, but our gal is on pace. Once again, a moment when I really wish we had cable...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home