With An I

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

cakes from the pan, we say

Man, what is it right now with pancakes for dinner appearing in my life?

It seems to have started with Betsy and I's on-the-fly choice of My Old Dutch for dinner in London, and now, clearly, the Minimalist himself has been influenced by our culinary choices. Or maybe it started on a high school road trip with Andi and my folks at a "Pannekooken" place in South Dakota. Who knows...it will not be the shape of tonight's dinner, that's for sure.

Pancakes on the brain, too, because I finally caved and bought Bisquick last week, after making several rounds of pancakes that were either just okay, had a weird bitter taste, or were too squishy. I just wanted to see if I could do it from scratch. But Bisquick is awesome. That is all.

6 Comments:

At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, there's nothing wrong with using good old-fashioned just-add-water pancake mix, either. the key is to doctor it up a bit: i add vanilla, cinnamon, chopped apples, or cocoa powder, or some combination of goodies. just a little something to counteract the bitterness.

i heart pancakes. especially for dessert!

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was about to say that i'm a terrible old grinch who can't handle sweet pancakes at all, but i realized i'd forgotten about the mind-blowing polish apple pancakes (more of a dessert than a breakfast with the sweet cream on top) we devour at raymund's. we should try making those ourselves, wabes...though our jeans might hate us for it.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Wabes said...

I was always partial to chocolate-chip, when I lived in Washington. We have this killer blueberry syrup that we got in Maine which almost means you don't need any more sweet. But the vanilla/cinnamon is a good call. Pancakes or french toast are my favorite ways to have cinnamon at breakfast time. And cinnamon coffee. Mmmm.

And yes, Lau, we should explore apple pancakes. I doubt we could sweet-talk Raymund's into giving us the recipe, but we could figure it out. Actually, V, do you have any old Polish/Russian recipes for something like that?

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

my breakfast-food obsession is waffles more than pancakes. i learned to cook from my mom, who in turned learned to cook in an era in which all dishes started with a base of either Bisquick or Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup. in recent years, my interest in making and eating food made from scratch meant that i tried to break the lingering dependency on Bisquick (full of transfats, terrible for you), but it's only been marginally successful. i have worked my way through a half dozen waffle recipes, from the classic Joy of Cooking flour and butter mixture to healthy whole-wheaty-vegan versions, and nothing comes close to the light, fluffy, crunchy goodness that is Bisquick, milk, egg and vegetable oil. i caved and went back to buying Bisquick. who wants healthy when you're making a big sunday breakfast, anyway?

PS - i'll be in nyc in a week! maybe we should make some pancakes for dinner...?

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Imelda said...

Pannekooken!!!!!!! I would go there every time I went to Minnesota. Not only did I love the pannekookens, but I liked the order them just to embarass the wait staff, who had to shout "Pannekuchen!" every time they brought one out.

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jengadda: ain't no party like a pancake party cause the pancake party won't stop!

i have no p-skills (bisquick-related or otherwise), but perhaps i can sous for you or craft up something else.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home