tv nostalgia and some basketball excitement
I'm posting this for Kolz, because, hey, it's nice when all of your television trivia is substantiated wittily in a public forum, even better when it's accompanied by all sorts of other pop culture references that I can get on board with. And I also post because even I thought Winnie Cooper was just beautiful on "The Wonder Years," even when I couldn't bear the family-not-getting-along-angst-ness of it all. So, honey, here's our Winnie, all grown up.
I mean, damn. And she's a genius!
Back from London and the jet lag was merciful, in a way -- it didn't hit me until Tuesday, and then it was like being made of slowly hardening cement. Because of daylight savings, the time difference was only 4 hours, which, as Valya pointed out, isn't much worse than California. But somehow, oh, it was.
My post-orals inclination is to work much, much less, and cook interesting things, and think of crafty projects. I now have time to talk over coffee about work and life with my fellow grads, and the reserves of patience and good temper are slowly refilling. Plus, my kids had a kick-ass section on Monday about nationalism, imperialism, and the First World War -- I loved it because it's my stuff, but I also love that one of the guys answered my "so what were the goals of empire?" question with "Bring soap."
And a final note, everyone, tune in tomorrow night for my #4 seed Salukis taking on the #1 seed Kansas Jayhawks. (And can I just say, I heart the NYtimes interactive bracket?). We are excited, loyal fans, if slightly fearful. Our guys just aren't as big as their guys, even if they are tenacious, ferocious, and full of heart. Dad and I very nearly flew out to San Jose at the last minute to watch the game and stay with Valya & Graham, but good sense and a fresh head cold threw cold water on that. It bears saying "WAHOO! SWEET SIXTEEN!" just once, since I was on a plane during the last game against VA Tech. I am all about Mid-Major pride. At least one of my teams survived the first two rounds...

2 Comments:
please explain - what is a salukis or is it saluki or saluka? This is very confusing for a team with such a high ranking and performance on the court
the b'ball magician
don't magicians know about the mid-majors? or is it only the big east and big-name conferences that magicians care about? tsk tsk... certainly a #4 seed in the tournament and regular season ranking in the top 25 would have led to an earlier query about what exactly our mascot is?
especially since we're famous as being up there in randomness with the UCSC banana slugs and the Delta State fighting okra (or whatever...). It's good trivia!
Post a Comment
<< Home