With An I

Thursday, January 25, 2007

And it's Thursday

So, early meme results...

My supermagicalpowers were:

- Effortless flight
- Telekinesis (to be able to move my things while I'm effortlessly flying)
- The ability to heal, or take away pain
- Making my hair do exactly what I want, when I want

Lau added:

- the ability to communicate with animals
- teleportation
- conjury
- collective dreaming (how cool would that be?)

Valya blogs by proxy, making me also feel like a magnanimous meme-maker with:

"yeah, teleportation would be at the top of my list, too. in fact, that's always the superpower i pick when people ask -- and most people don't let you pick more than one. so i don't know what else i'd do. maybe the ability to sense and thwart evil intentions."

I give you as many superpowers as you want. Especially if it keeps all of us away from evil intentions.

Today has been a good day. Shockingly frustrating meeting with higher-ups at the university balanced by refreshingly collegial meeting with professor who is on my orals panel. Not everyone who has power is priggish and immovable. The reading list is also nice & coherent, for me:

Smith, Politics and the Sciences of Culture in Germany (reading --> done)
Schorske, Fin-de-siecle Vienna: Politics and Culture (interrupted)
Ringer, The Decline of the German Mandarins (reading --> done)
Roth, The Social Democrats in Imperial Germany (reading --> done)
Lidtke, The Alternative Culture: Socialist Labor in Imperial Germany (reading)

My food-related non sequitur today is about chocolate. I have a well-known sweet tooth, but I don't tend to just snack on sweet things or have chocolate after every meal, especially not at home. Kolz's folks devilishly left us with dark chocolate truffles from Trader Joe's, and Kolz doesn't love the dark chocolate, which means it's incumbent on me to make sure they don't spoil. Or escape. Damn. And my god, the Almond Joy bar I had at the library last night was SO yummy. I haven't bought a candy bar in ages! Go buy yourselves a candy bar, kids!

2 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, I want to contribute to the superpowers discussion! I think I've mentioned this before, but I want to be able to move things by literally lifting my finger (no, not THAT one). I want to be like Mrs. Weasley in the Harry Potter movies, when she cooks dinner and does the dishes and cleans here house just with a few flips on her wand. I would just use my index finger as a wand and make stirring motions or dusting motives and what now. Then all my housework would be done without me having to even get my hands dirty. I suppose some of that is telekinisis, but it's a very advanced form.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Wabes said...

so we should write that up as:

power to do housework telekinetically, a la mrs. weasley?

...i can post the whole thing. i was hoping you'd write - i liked yours, when we talked about it the other day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home