broccolini
[I tried to post this Wednesday, and just remembered to try again...]
On the mend, ladies & gentlemen, if still a bit cloudy-headed -- a very good discussion section tonight gave me a burst of energy, and I'm reading a good overview article which is making the orals process more intelligible. The kids are alright, I tell you, and they really dug the Scientific Revolution. Freaking out about the upcoming mid-term, but we'll manage that, too.
Dinner innovation inspires me tonight, however. Many of you had to listen to me complain about broccoli over the years - I still hold that it smells like skunk when it's cooking, but do find it palatable occasionally. Especially in Chinese food. With lots of sauce. Or tempura, but what isn't good fried like that? I am also convinced, (thank you, skeptics) that I do not lack the enzyme that makes broccoli taste good. Though I liked the idea, at the time, and if Dr. Sis had told me I was a "supertaster," I'd never have given it up.
I've been wanting green veggies lately, but have had neither the desire to grocery shop nor the energy to think about cooking...enter Kolz's pre-emptive farmer's market shopping on Sunday. And so we have super-fresh broccoli. One of my favorite salads is plain baby spinach with hearts of palm and Annie's Naturals Goddess dressing. I tried it tonight with boiled broccoli instead of spinach and ate it all, dear reader! There was only one moment when it was all a little too broccoli-y, but I persevered. I still think that brussel sprouts taste like biting into an aspirin, but maybe in another 5 years, there'll be progress.
There may be a hiatus for the next week, as grant applications are due Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. Cross your fingers for me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home