With An I

Friday, May 23, 2008

kindergaaaarrrrten

Today was a slow today for me, but this month has been busy, so I think it's catching up. When I can't remember if I've gotten enough sleep, it's usually not a good sign. It took me twice as long as usual to get out of my apartment, I was clumsy with my tea, and was a sort of low cloudy outside that just makes you feel a little slower. Especially when facing a 5-hour date with a microfilm reader.

But I walked out the door, and the scene at the school playground across the street literally made this week and next. Apparently, this Friday was pirate day at school. Someone had even given the kids eye-patches and red or skull-and-crossbones printed kerchiefs for their wee little piratey heads. There were streamers everywhere -- and this is a big, woodsy playground, mind you -- and fake swords, and other swashbuckling paraphernalia. Two kids were playing king of the mountain and one had a fake mustache and goatee eye-linered onto his face.

As I passed, I saw a teacher pushing a big swing full of kids (how this is possible: imagine one of those discs you can sled in, enlarged times 10, and now like a playground tire swing, capacity of at least 6 kids), also wearing an eyepatch. I was smiling as I walked past -- whispering "arrrr!" to myself, if you must know -- and the teacher saw me looking, and just grinned.

If I had been assured that the Germans wouldn't freak out at me photographing a playground, you'd have photos, but for now, ask yourselves:

what's a pirate's favorite grade in primary school?

(that's for you, lau & paul)

happy weekend! and feel free to throw down your piratey best.

2 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is, i think, the precise reason the phrase "verwirrte deutsche" seems so natural.

i freaking love it like i love hidden treasure.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Wabes said...

arrrr.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home