haiku, you
So my 29th birthday was Sunday. I had sort of let it slide toward me, given everything else that's going on right now, and given that I'm living in England and running around to the archives every day. And given that I only know maybe 5 people in total personally in the city of London.*
But no matter. The birthday haikus came in as is wonderfully usual. Keeping with the "makes me laugh out loud" criteria, I present you with a short snippet of some of Graham's rhymin' and stealin':
"She don't mean to brag,
She don't mean to boast, but (she)'s
Intercontinen-
-tal when she eats french
toast; or trifle or crumpets
or germanbrekfust."
Just looking at it again this morning, it's awesome that it would work with the German word for breakfast, Frühstück, as well. Good morning!
I finished up at the Royal Society yesterday, I think, and am heading out to Kew to the National Archives after I go for a run this morning. About halfway through the slog yesterday, I got sooo tense, so even if it's only 30-something degrees out, I'm layering up and motoring out. And tonight I get to meet the first in a series of new babies born to my girlfriends - this one, Polly, to my Australian former flatmate from York. Yay!
* and they all, for the record, made my birthday amazing, so I'll stick with my 5.

4 Comments:
Is it good to get props for blatant plagiarism? At least I can spell plagiarism, I suppose.
i think it's legit, if the recipient of your talent had no earthly idea -- unless it was just a sort of feeling of familiarity, mayyyybe - that you were plagiarizing.
your honesty is commendable, though. who's it from?
But... but... you so deftly called it out with the "rhymin' and stealin'" quote, I thought for sure you knew for a fact it was the Beastie Boys ('The Move' on Hello Nasty). Crazy.
Your subconscious is a homey!
how funny! it made me think of the beastie boys, but i really only know the lyrics on "ill communication", which is still my "turn it up and get your work done" music of choice.
a lot of the things i'm doing and saying right now are probably self-consciously operating on multiple levels. let's just chalk it up to a busy brain.
and just for fun, can you imagine how silly a beastie boy haiku contest would be? or drunken scrabble with the pirate joke game AND haiku AND the beastie boys? maybe not the 40-year-old beasties, but i'd take them at 30.
Post a Comment
<< Home