With An I

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Curses!

Foiled again!

No intertron for me, yet again -- apparently my "Altbau" apartment building is too "alt gebaut" for me to get the cable internet I ordered. Luckily the installer-guy was warm and very friendly, and explained everything like three times. So I understand just how difficult and expensive it would be to arrange. But it makes me crazy that they couldn't tell me ahead of time, somehow.

After a wobbly almost-cry with Franke, I dusted myself off and went back to the media superstore where I placed my first order, found the same friendly soul who placed that first order, and signed up for another service. I think, to avoid jinxing myself, I shall not mention it until it actually happens. And plus, it could take up to 6 weeks, so who am I to pique everyone's anticipation and then draw it out unnecessarily?

All of this makes the sweet "Welcome back to the internet" message I saw from Kolz this morning a little, well, heart-breaking. I just want things to be easy, Germany. You've got your pound of flesh, after my first few months here.

Today is my get-your-files-in-order day, and I also will have a meeting and my first look at the Robert Koch Institute archives. They only have a part time archivist (silly scientists), but apparently she's very nice. More on that later. And, luckily, I do still have the day-by-day option of this weird Spanish service called FON, which, though unreliable and pricey, is why I can write all about this in the first place...

2 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a load of bollocks, dass dein gebaeude zu alt gebaut ist...

Maybe you just need to move to Britain, where cable internet has somehow managed to be set up in fifteenth-century buildings (wink). Must be that the cable guys are tea-drinkers and just get on with it.

Or perhaps the issue is that the Germans are subtly attempting to avoid the fate of the South Koreans. (They know they have a number of underemployed youths in Germany, and the state might crumble under the cost of the boot camps intended to wean young people off of internet addiction.)

Not sure if these thoughts help allay disappointment...

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Wabes said...

i don't know how this is relevant, but you did put korea and germany into the same sentence.

i had a hilarious conversation the other night with a girlfriend who said she and another person worked out a system of food analogies for european and east asian food. so, chinese is like italian (everyone likes it, it's widespread), japanese is like french (complicated and highbrow) and...korean is like german. Because there's lot of cabbage - kimchi and sauerkraut, both staples! I think Thai was originally like French, but we may have made Thai = English because of the fried things and street food.

...this may not make sense to anyone else, but I totally saw where she was coming from.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home