ode to lau
When you are far away from your tribe, lots of things make you think of lots of different people. Tonight was Lau's night. To wit:
The first -- boo-yah and I say that intentionally! I am stoked that this dinner worked out -- is my foray into cauliflower. Cauliflower steaks (again, thank you, Bon Appetit) with cayenne and cumin in the breading, and then the young leaves around the cauliflower sauteed with garlic. And I made a mint-yogurt-lemon sauce which got some mustard added at the last minute. The "why not?" moment with the mustard was what seals the Lauren cooking memory. Apples in red sauce? Yes! Vegetables I never liked before? Of course!
And the second is from our New Year's in Chicago. I give you, the Marina Towers:
[tk: constant internet should arrive Thursday]
When I think of driving through Chicago as a kid, I remember thinking these buildings were pretty neat. I also remember thinking I would be totally terrified to drive my car into the garage (insofar as I could imagine driving). You can see the little rear-ends sticking out here, I still think, rather precariously.

2 Comments:
hooray for food experimentation! i adore cauliflower, so i'm happy to see you're cozying up to it as well (random coincidence: i had my first cauliflower patties in germany 13 years ago!). if you're feeling like throwing apples in something random, i've had my eye on a green apple & brie risotto from "not eating out in new york" - looks yum, though it uses a LOT of brie.
i love marina city as well - bertrand goldberg trounces mies for me any day of the week. the parking is a bit precarious, yes, but how else is one expected to fly in and deposit one's jetsons car?
seriously, try baking the cauliflower! you hardly have to do anything to it, and it's yummers.
I got schooled by the black beans last week, though -- they just take forfuckingever to cook, with the water as hard as it is here. But, true to beany, mexican-food form, three days later with some broth, onion, and tomato, they were once again the beans of my dreams.
And I somehow feel more normal now. Why is familiar food so important?!
Post a Comment
<< Home