With An I

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

blowing a gale

I'm supposed to be asleep, but we're having another night of epically windy weather here in London, and the combination of what sounds like sleety hail and big, pounding-on-a-metal-garbage-can-lid sort of gusts does not a restful falling asleep make. And I am so, so tired.

Talking with Racquel the other night, we realized - in the same way, which I always find heartening about one's friends - that there is something fundamentally different about weather language in England and the U.S. Here, they forecast gales when something nasty is coming across the Channel, as in "heavy gales Sunday night and into Monday, with gusts of up to 50 miles per hour" or "gales hit the southern coast of England last night, causing massive flooding and knocking down 135 trees."

Storms we have, at home. Tornadoes and hurricanes, even.* But it's the idea of a gale that strikes me as odd. It's like living in a Wordsworth poem. It's like the heights are wuthering at you on the walk to the bus stop. Wind blows, but a gale buffets. The drama of it perhaps fits an island that is, let's remember, stuck in the North Sea which can and does get "cut off from the Continent". And a gale is more relentless, too, I suppose, which I'm sure is how it can feel.

But, still, a little part of me hears: "...shiver me timbers...this ain't a storm, it's a gale."

* this should in no way be construed as a dig at The Great Storm, honey.

3 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post and totally prefer to be buffeted by a gale.

Bonus points for the use of "wuthering".

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger lauren said...

my example is much less exciting, but i remember feeling something like that when i first moved to the east coast and started hearing about "t-storms" (a shortening of "thunderstorms," obvious to everyone but me). with no point of reference, i connected them with tsunamis: "holy shit, we're getting a tstorm tonight! batten down the mf'ing hatches, trim the main!"

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Wabes said...

see, now, i like a good midwestern thunderstorm -- they drove me and my radio to the basement in fear of tornadoes as a kid, but i love watching them roll in. the green-purple-bellied monsters you get sometimes, when they aren't life-threatening, are what "awe" was made for. and the lightning is amazing to watch.

thankfully the wind is quiet tonight, all the tiles still on the roof, and i might be able to go running tomorrow without getting blown about. i'll be trimming the main regardless, tho'...it just seems an appropriate response. ; )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home