With An I

Saturday, November 17, 2007

like an eighth-grader, i find myself hanging out at...

The mall. American-style malls are kind of a new thing here, apparently, but I have found a new place with free wifi (and NO SMOKE!) and just have to share the experience, somehow...

I've got myself set up in a reasonably comfy chair in "Berlins fantastische Shoppingwelt", Das Schloß (this means "castle" but since it's located on Schloßstrasse, I figure that's what they're doing). The first song that came on over the piped-in system was a musak version of Tori Amos' "Cornflake Girl" and we've since run the gamut of 80s and soul. It's mostly European chain stores and a big H & M, but with the nice smell of baked goods, too.

But the best, and weirdest, part is that the ceiling is covered with projections of an ocean scene -- you see blue water, wavey reflections like you'd get on the bottom of a pool, and the undersides of various fish: sharks, ginormous clownfish, and just now, a flock of manta rays. But it's projected like you're on the ocean floor, looking up. This whole thing was totally puzzling to me until I watched a toddler become completely docile and un-frenetic upon looking up at the ceiling. Another kid, maybe 3 years old, has just settled in on a nearby couch with her mom and dad and occasionally shouts "Guck mal, mama, ein?????" (I can get "look, mama, a --" but I don't know the German words for various fishes). I have also realized that the projector pedestals are vaguely styled like oldfashioned gas lanterns. It feels at once like a brilliant gimmick and a new weird attempt at social control. But since it's not smoky, and I can stomach the musak, and there is ice cream close by, I proclaim the whole thing a winner.

Seriously, if I had found this within my first two weeks here, I would have been SO much happier. Even if i would have felt compelled to buy things here. It's even open until 10 pm on Fridays and Saturdays! A little while ago, there was a French businessman sitting next to me, trying to use skype with someone without a mic (he gave up). This would be better than most cafes, though -- I deafened my poor Kolz last weekend trying to talk without a mic at a great little cafe, every time the cappucino machine went on.

So, we're putting together a Thanksgiving dinner next week, which I am really excited about. I am doing turkey with another guy, and discovered today that you can get a frozen turkey in Germany, but they're smaller than the frozen geese (from Poland!) on offer, in most places. This seems totally bogus to me, but I did find a 16-pounder in a more posh grocery store. And thankfully, I checked to see how long it takes to defrost such a bird, so I'll be buying my turkey on Monday. What will you all be doing for the day? What's your favorite family recipe?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home