familiar territory
I was going to write about post-colonialism and dictionary entries, about the national "peasants'/farmers' holiday" that happened today ("nane nane" = eighth of the eighth), about how the soap in the White Fathers' headquarters bathroom is Imperial Leather, which I find dorkily hilarious, but today was sort of a rough, long day in Dar.
So instead, from the usual blogs I haven't looked at in forever, something that I still miss from home, even if my Hostess does have "Pirates of the Caribbean"* on DVD:
"So, I'm minding my own business last night, making dinner and drinking a beer while Law and Order is on in the background (is there anything more comforting than Lennie Briscoe, Sam Waterston's eyebrows and the soothing CHUN CHUN of justice?)."
No, Fug Girls, there is nothing better than the soothing CHUN CHUN of justice. I think that's a pretty solid attempt at capturing the patented sound, though not quite it. I know nothing of the associated fashion faux-pas, but I do miss Jerry Orbach and a solidly resolved TV ending with good quips. And Jesse L. Martin. But not Dennis Farina. Here's hoping I have a tiny bit of time to watch cable while I'm home for the meeting in October...
* may we never take for granted that we can choose the language on DVDs. Two overdubbed movies in the last week ("The Naked Gun" and something with Clark Gable, Myrna Loy, and journalism) and I was ready for almost anything. But I got something I like!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home