In Dar
So, there have been some not-so-subtle requests to post some photos from Dar. I'll beg off in part because I haven't been doing a photo-taking touristy thing, really, but I'll also promise to take more...I have a bunch in mind, but haven't been carrying my camera.
Until I take some nice photos of my apartment and the view, I give you...
[tk]
"Sambusas". These were bought at a place called A Tea Shop on Morogoro Road in Dar. I pass it when I walk down to Atiman House, where the White Fathers/Missionaries of Africa have their headquarters. The building is one of the only remaining from the original planning of Dar as a city in the mid-19th century by one of the sultans of Zanzibar...it was to be the harem. The view to the waterfront is really lovely. But A Tea Shop is also lovely, and they make lots of yummy fried things and are friendly. The first time, it was like my stomach took a right turn on the way home, no fault of mine, but now, I think I could become a regular.
I want to give you sambusas, and the waterfront, and the sunrise from my terrace this morning (ahem, up early to work on the article, was I? Yes). I also want to tell you about the signs painted around my neighborhood, how loud the 5 am call to prayer was this morning, eating ugali, making friends at Kisutu market, and why bednets are nice even when yuo don't have mosquitoes. But the long and the short of it is that I can't upload photos from my home internet connection, so it'll have to wait until I can find a better spot. I've been saving up posts, though, so I'll stop doing that, and start writing. Check back for photos later on!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home